Monday, October 6, 2008

Hope Island Race

Race Time 1200 October 11, 2008

As most of you know the Hope Island Dash is a race that is usually sailed by an individual when the spirit moves them and starts and finishes along a line that is the extension on the shoal mark and mark 4.

The full instruction are at the following link: http://www.ssssclub.com/race.htm#start

Starting and Finishing
We will not be doing the race at exactly the same way as given in the instruction since we will all be starting together. I will be on my Catalina 36 to start you using our normal 3 minute sequence at 1200. I will be on the extension of the line as described in the Hope Island Dash sailing instructions. You need to start between the committee and the shoal marker but you can finish on either side the committee boat from one side of Budd Inlet to the other. We will take your times based on the staring time and when you cross the line to finish.

Shortening Course
We will see what the conditions are for the race day. If there is little wind or it is from a direction that would make the race less than fun, I will take the temperature of the fleet and we could do some buoy races or we may drop a mark to round in lieu of going around the island. Look for Bill's boat it will be a mark boat should we shorten. The idea is to have fun racing and not bobbing around Budd Inlet all day and night.

Communication
If you have a cell phone, please have it on board so that you can contact me if you need a tow or other help during the race. I will ask you to call me on my cell at 360-239-8706 before the race so that I have your number. Gary Pedigo will be out on his boat out to help if you need it, and Jim Findley will be in Bill's boat as support. Please sail by the committee boat so that I can get your bow number and your names before the race, and contact me should you retire so that we don't have to look for you should you not finish.

Please comment if you have any questions or concerns.

No comments:

Post a Comment