Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Stupid Wet Sailors

It could only happen in Olympia. That’s what I thought to myself as I huddled damply in the driver’s seat of the boat. Not a place you would want to be while the sky poured a never ending flow of water.

Not only was it freezing out on the first Monday in May, which can be expected, if not liked, but it was pouring a rain so thick that it was nearly impossible to see even a few feet in front of the boat. But none of this would have mattered to me if I was actually on a sailboat instead of huddled on a tiny motor boat with a sunshade that, instead of repelling water like it was supposed to, actually seemed to drench me more than I would have been if I was not under it. And if there had been, you know, wind.

No, the water was as smooth as glass, or, more correctly, it would have been as smooth as glass except for the rain. This was a sight that would strike fear in the hearts of sailors everywhere. Without wind, the simple fact is, there’s no sailing.

Only in Olympia would racing in these conditions take place. Only here would six stupid sailors get drenched in freezing rain in hopes of getting a few measly races off. It would be a good start to the season for them. With only three boats out, they would have a huge lead over those who weren’t so dedicated to the sport. I still couldn’t forgive them for showing up. If they hadn’t been there, I would be nice and comfortable at home where it was dry.

I couldn’t help but glower at them under my damp hair. Finally, time to go in. Soon I would be in the warmth of Tugboats, sipping hot chocolate with feeling in my hands again. Only in Olympia would people be so stupid.

Laura
Star 7094

4 comments:

  1. ...and what sets you apart, Laura, is that you are willing to be there, in the wet, for the other sailors. What you may not always feel is the warmth of the regards of those sailors toward you and the cheer that we old sailors feel when we see a young sailor like you enduring and commiserating the hardships that love of sailing sport bring us. There is a masochism that comes with the sport for the true believers. You are a true believer. THANKS.

    Nightwind

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell Laura she gets an A for that one.

    ReplyDelete